Reciprocity for Minnesota Residents

Action by the Minnesota and North Dakota legislatures allows residents of either state to attend state-supported institutions of higher education and have most of the non-resident tuition waived. Approval by the authorized agency of the student’s home state is required. Minnesota residents may obtain the Application for Reciprocity form by accessing the website Students can print an approved letter and retain it for their records.

Reciprocity is granted to a student for a one-year period ending each July and is automatically granted for the remaining years unless the student withdraws from college. In that case, the student would have to re-apply.

NOTE: Students who have graduated from a Minnesota high school within a 12-month period prior to the first term of enrollment are not required to complete a reciprocity application.